Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Quick Lessons

1. A Quick Lesson in the Importance of Reading Labels.

Yesterday we were on the way home from a weekend of camping in Wisconsin. We stopped at a gas station to fill up and get some snacks. Inside, I saw these little plastic guns on a shelf so I picked one up. And I pulled the trigger. The plastic gun, which I found out after the fact by reading the sticker on the side, was a gag gun that shocks you when you pull the trigger. I learned that the hard way. The shock wasn't seizure-inducing, but it was still quite a jolt.

Lesson learned: Read the labels before pulling the trigger.

2. A Quick Lesson in Preparedness

After gym today, I was putting on my worn-out ratty Converse knock-off shoes when the laces on the left shoe snapped. Initially, I panicked, thinking I'd have to walk around the rest of the day with a loose shoe. Then I realized that I had spare shoelaces in my backpack as part of my EDC (Every Day Carry). I walked to my next class with one shoe on, and then I promptly replaced the broken shoelace with the spare. I finished my day with no other shoe problems. Crisis averted.

Lesson learned: Prepare, think ahead, and keep a spare pair of shoelaces in your backpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment