Sunday, June 12, 2011

Why Helmets are Good and How to Properly Invite Someone Via Text

In this post, I will be addressing two things, as stated in the title.

First off, "Why Helmets are Good". I'd like to share a fun little story about a biking experience I once had.

It was a nice day during the summer, and I was out riding my bike on our street. I was not wearing a helmet. To get to the point, I was going altogether too fast and as I passed a neighbor's house, my foot somehow got stuck in the spokes of my front wheel. This brought me to an abrupt halt, sending me over the handlebars of my bike to the pavement. Also, one of the handlebars shanked me slightly below my stomach.

Although the handlebar did not puncture through my skin, the pain it caused was excruciating and left me laying in the middle of the street.

Thankfully, I sustained no serious injuries from this event (the handlebar jab didn't let me walk normally for a few days though). Let me remind you that I was not wearing a helmet. If I had been thrown any harder, I would've probably gotten some sort of head injury. Lesson learned: Don't ride too fast, mind your feet, and WEAR A HELMET.

Moving on.

I have received, on quite a few occasions, invitations from my friends via text message. I do check my messages in the rare event that I have my phone on. But, I receive them days late.

What aggravates me about this is that I'm on Facebook a lot, yet it seems like people gravitate to inviting me places via text. Also, they text the invitation once and give it no second thought when, hours later, there's still no response. Then, later, when they post things about how much fun they had somewhere, I get pissed because I think they didn't invite me.

To avoid this predicament and save your relationships with your friends, I have devised a great way to invite someone via text (you should leave at least about a day between the day you invite someone and the date of the event to provide for

First, send the person(s) you intend to invite a friendly text, saying something like, "Hey! How's your day?" or "What's up?" If they respond immediately, you can then send a secondary text containing the invitation. If they respond later in the day (either within a few minutes or a few hours), wait until you have a conversation with them where both parties responds almost immediately. When you have a good conversation going, then you can spring an invitation.

If they don't respond within a day, contact them via a different method. If they're online on Facebook or the like, send them a message or post on their wall. You could also consider going the old-fashioned route: actually calling their house and leaving voicemail if they're not home. I hope we all still know how to do that.

If you still have gotten no response from the person you're trying to invite, they're probably trying to avoid you. Just, please, don't give up on inviting someone to something if they don't respond to a text. They probably don't have their phone on.

No comments:

Post a Comment